The weather reporters are truly in their element. They're so dramatic as they stand on the seawall watching the waves crash as they report that the national weather service has issued a warning that anyone staying within Hurricane Ike's path faces "certain death".
Now the reporters safe in the studios in Houston are telling the reporters on the seawall to report this, but can you imagine the conversation going on off-camera? "Okay Rick, we want you to go stand out on the seawall and report on this "certain death" warning."
"Um, Greg, you know I'M still out here, right? I think I'll load up the camera truck and get out while I still can!"We love watching Fox News and the local news.
They are displaying "Darwinism" at its best. They are broadcasting on the internet) from the Poop Deck (a beach-front bar in Galveston) where the web cam shows a bunch of scantily clad women (and some men) drinking and chatting on their cell phones. The Fox News anchor spoke to the bartender, who says they'll be open today until the curfew is enforced or the Sheriff shuts them down. The anchor asked the bartender to convey to the partiers the message from the weather service about “certain death” and she replied that they “hope” that won’t happen. I really think they aren’t giving that statement much concern.
Michael Chertoff has now announced that Hurricane Ike is a "worst case scenario". We're howling with laughter, from Neil Cavuto reporting that Chertoff has told everyone riding out the storm to grab a permanent marker and write your social security number on your arm now, so your body can be identitified later. Apparently 220 people have requested rescuing already - and the storm doesn't make landfall until 1-2 a.m. tonight. The real danger with this storm is the surge of water, not necessarily the winds. Though, I might change my mind after 3 a.m. when we’ve experienced the winds.
Here in Missouri City we have a good breeze, it's hot, and it just started sprinkling. We grilled the steaks and the pork chops, and some of the guys are outside enjoying the quiet (the kids are so loud) and getting started on a good buzz. (Yeah, they've popped open the beers.)
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment