
Third grade still isn't "required" to do a Science Fair project, but it's *ahem* strongly encouraged. In this area of town, it's practically a religion! Between the space and oil industries, we have a lot of scientific people surrounding us, and it is a huge influence on their kids. They offer the "Lucky 13" award in high school to those students who have participated in 13 years of Science Fair K-12. Now I don't know how many students receive this award, but the fact that they offer it speaks for itself.
(I'll take this opportunity to mention that our ISD doesn't support National History Fair, though participation in Science Fair is mandatory for grades 4-5.) Cameron decided to do her project on moldy bread. The question came about honestly enough - every time I buy Pumpernickel Rye bread (yum), it gets moldy before I can eat the whole loaf. So she wondered which breads mold faster than others. (um, the rye bread honey....)

We put a whole bunch of bread out on the table and "observed" it. We watched it dry out and turn into toast. So I broke down and picked up a few books on mold and surprise - you need moist, dark, spaces. We modified her project a bit and she wrote up the words and took some of the photos. We put it together tonight.
Do they give points for looking nice and neat?
4 comments:
That's a great looking project Cameron! Well . . except for the moldy parts that is! I hope you enjoyed doing it and science fairs will become a yearly thing for you. Brenna Rose is really excited because she'll have full lab science at her school next year and the teacher is "so cool and awesome but I'm not dissecting owl pellets!"
I should mention that my Dad is the one who reminded us that bread sitting out without moisture/dark will NEVER grow mold. LOL! Also, the tortillas went moldy in the fridge but Bryan threw them away and we didn't get a photo (or even record what day that was!)
Whew! When I saw the title I was afraid you were having another surprise house repair. Glad it is just a science project this time!
Excellent project Cameron! So, which bread grew mold faster?
Post a Comment