Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Flowers for Mother's Day

Bryan gave me flowers for Mother's Day, but not cut flowers that will die before the week is over.

Here is one of the two flower beds in the backyard last week.


Here it is about 1 p.m. on Mother's Day.



Voila! Flowers for Mother's Day.


The rose is an Oklahoma hybrid tea, which is also the Oklahoma State Flower. (It's not terribly pretty at the moment, but give it a few weeks.)

You might remember Bryan also gave me flowers for Valentine's Day. Go take a peek at the before/after photos and then look at how it's doing right now.

What's interesting is that we put the same plants on both sides. The geranium on the right is bushy and full, while the one of the left is still small, but both have bloomed several times. The gardenias had one bloom... but appear to be growing new leaves. The blue whatever is weedy looking but always has a blossom. I looked all over Lowe's for more of the Anne Greenway spotted dead nettle to plant in the front yard. I had never seen this shady ground cover before but it's really done well and taken over (from three little tiny plants!) and now it's blooming little purple flowers.

Here are close ups of my roses.

Queen Elizabeth.
Don Juan climber. I had a Don Juan in Galveston. (Gone now, even if the current owner took care of them, it wouldn't have survived Ike....)



I don't know the name of this yellow, which is unusual for me because I like to know my roses. But this one was given to me by Lisa when she dug hers up a few years ago. I'm amazed it's still alive because it was in that center garden almost completely overgrown by a butterfly bush.

2 comments:

Lisa Henley Jones said...

They look beautiful! I have more roses I want to dig up if you want them. We got rid of all ours at the old house, then we moved to a house with over 18 rose bushes. I'm slowly killing them all, so I am willing to dig up any you want before I kill the rest. I've got about 12 left.

Shelly Kelly said...

I'll take any that you dig up, but let me look up the proper time for transplanting.

Oh, and I suspect that the yellow is a Midas Touch. Another one I had in Galveston and I would have encouraged you to buy it back in 1999. Pretty good we've kept at least two of your 1999 roses alive ten years!?