Cibolo Creek is the most amazing place, full of history and art. In Jan 1858, Milton Faver purchased the land around three natural springs where he established cattle ranches at two and a sheep ranch at the third. The 100 square foot adobe Fort Cibolo is believed to have been constructed on top of the original Spanish mission ruins. Two smaller adobe forts at the other two springs were also used to protect against Indian raids. Soldiers from Fort Davis also used the fort as an outpost. Today the three adobe forts are part of the 30,000 acre Cibolo Creek Ranch and operated as a working ranch with accomadations for guests.
We arrived during "Happy Hour" in the central living space, where employees mixed drinks and set out a simple spread of appetizers. Guests mingled among the many couches and tables. We rushed to unpack and freshen up before dinner at 7:30 p.m. Our large family was seated at two long wooden tables in that living area while the rest of the guests sat in the dining area. We later learned that Cibolo Creek was "at capacity" for the first time since they opened in the 1990s. (Guess the word is getting out.) We were immediately sorry that we hadn't planned to stay more than two nights at this beautiful location.
Another blog post will tell you about our activities while staying at Cibolo Creek, but here I want to share with you just a few of the many photos I took of the accomodations.
The original fort with two towers in the corners. The towers were used for museum displays of original Faver family documents, library, and photographs (in one) and a military armory display (in the other.) The current owner added two guest areas, tack rooms, and other areas in such a way that it does not interrupt the original design or feel of the Fort.
The other guest addition is the Lakeside Hacienda, where we stayed.
Each of the twelve guest rooms opens up to this long patio furnished with Mexican daybeds, book shelves, couches and tables. I'm sure that during the heat of the summer they throw open the windows, turn on the ceiling fans, and let the dry air cool the patio, but during our stay the windows were closed. There were moments where I would walk from window to window looking for the door handle.
You can see our door on the far right, double glass doors that had no key. You could lock the doors from the inside and pull a white curtain, but you never needed to carry a key while staying at Cibolo. You were invited to read any book from the fairly impressive Texana book collection.
Outside our bathroom window, looking out to the rear of the hacineda, we had a beautiful view of Milton Faver's mausoleum. I meant to hike up to it and see what was there, but I never took the opportunity.
And the variety of places to just sit a spell and rest were unlimited.
There are two other small abode forts about twenty minutes away from the main fort that offer a high degree of privacy and seclusion. Bryan learned that Mr. Randy Quaid (and family) was staying in one at the same time we were there. Though we never saw him we thoroughly enjoyed the irony that "Eddie" of the National Lampoon Vacation movies was sharing a moment of our own Family Vacation.
2 comments:
That looks like a gorgeous place (looked at web site as well). Yes, I would like to pay a visit with my camera one day...
I love reading your blog and especially your trip! You're such a talented writer...I love how you leave no event out! Very neat place and that would have been awesome if you saw Randy himself I love Christmas Vacation!
Post a Comment