Saturday the girls elementary school hosted a 3K Fun Run and a 1K Run/Walk. Both girls wanted to do the 3K Fun Run, so we signed up and showed up at the school at 8 a.m. The girls and Bryan each got running numbers. I was very uncertain whether I'd run with them, since I haven't run (on purpose) since I was a kid myself.
But I stretched, getting into the spirit, and lined up with Bryan. The girls both took off easy, early, running with friends. The route was laid out as a 1K lap on the streets around the school. Runners would have their numbers marked off as they finished their first two laps. I made it as far as the first water station. Ha! Then I slowed to a walk. Bryan jogged along beside me encouraging me to start up again. I tried several times but always ended in a walk. After the first lap I just had to stop and breathe. I encouraged him to continue running.
While I was resting, Brenna came running by completing her second lap as though it was nothing. Cameron followed a little slower about half a block behind her, alone, so I joined her. I was able to run a little more than before, but she eventually pulled away from me - running while I walked.
Everyone crossed the finish line and we returned home joyful and (for some of us) exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment