You can still see the effects of Hurricane Rita on the landscape in East Texas along I-10. Trees are leaning, some trees are down, some of the tree tops are snapped off and hanging. Cameron wanted to know why people didn't come along and clean up the fallen trees.
After we crossed the Sabine into Louisiana, we stopped at the Information Center. They have a boardwalk over the marshlands in the back, and we took the girls on a mini-hike to see the landscape. Beautiful bald cypresses with their "knees" sticking out and the Spanish moss hanging down.
This is where we were when I received a telephone call from my Mom, who told me that Dad experienced chest pains while at "the ranch," and my uncle was driving him to the nearby rural hospital. There wasn't anything I could do - being at least two hours away from home, which is two and half hours away from the ranch - so I asked her to keep me posted. Bryan and I decided to eat our picnic with the girls before heading back; however, on our way to Niblett's Bluff on the Sabine, Mom called again and said they were life-flighting Dad to a major Austin hospital. We immediately turned the car toward home.
We did make one more stop, on the Texas side, to use the restroom and break out the picnic sandwiches (we ate in the car). I also let the girls take a quick trip outside to see the Blue Elbow Swamp. More bald cypress, frogs, a few early blossoms, and a whole slew of turtles sunning themselves. Cameron & Brenna enjoyed this statue of a snapping turtle.
1 comment:
I think it is so wonderful that you take the girls on all these adventures!!! I love it!
Post a Comment