After the longest summer break in 15 years, we returned to school this morning.
Cameron starts 3rd grade this year, and Brenna (gotta love that 8/30 birthday) is in Kindergarten.
We met the teachers on Friday. It's a crazy chaotic 45 minutes! We left the house at 8:25 a.m. and had to park 3 blocks away and stand in line just to get into the building. Thankfully, a neighbor told us that the classroom lists were posted after 5 p.m. Thursday night, so we already knew which room and teacher to visit. We picked up pre-ordered pre-packaged school supplies in the cafeteria and went 'round to both classrooms. Last year Cameron became really good friends with about four girls in her 2nd grade classroom - and yet none of them are together this year. What are the odds? (Seriously - four classrooms, five girls, you would think at least ONE would be in her class.)
Brenna knows one little boy from PreK who attends our school. During Kindergarten round-up, the form asked if she knew anyone who would be in Kindergarten. I filled it out with K's name and requested that they be in the same class. So of course they are not. (Can you see me rolling my eyes?)
This morning we all were up and ready early. Really early. All summer I've tried to have them up this early so I could be at work on time. Sheesh. Brenna told me that she had butterflies in her stomach, and she wouldn't eat much of her breakfast. I had her sit right down and color me a picture of the first day of school. (She drew a red building.)
But once we got there, Cameron happily greeted the returning teachers and even introduced Brenna to the P.E. teacher and the Librarian and the Music teacher. Brenna very solemnly shook their hands and answered their question. (And what is your name?) After we dropped off Cameron, who outwardly had no issues going back to class aside from Mom & Dad standing there talking ["Moommm.... " (unsaid: get out!)], we took Brenna back to the Kindergarten classroom.
Her teacher showed her where to put her lunchbox and hang her backpack. She gave her a name tag. We found her pencil box and some coloring pages, said good bye, and left. She seemed just fine. Anticipation is most of the nerves. I think she'll be just fine once the class activities begin. I'll be surprised if they do more than get familiar with the classroom, get to know the rules, the other children, and maybe some A-B-C's.
I'll update tonight after I pick up everyone from after-school care.
2 comments:
Look at those happy faces! Good luck ladies and we'll be watching for the day's update. (And Cameron, Molly will love your backpack! She's a big fan of anything with a leopard print.)
Sounds like the girls got all settled in. I can't wait to hear how Brenna liked her first day. BTW, Riley has the lunch pail to match Cameron's backpack. Riley wanted the backpack too, but her backpack from last year is still in great shape.
Post a Comment