Friday, August 03, 2007

I made her feel "safe"

I logged on tonight to blog about our week and discovered that through some kind of kismet it appears an unusually high number of people we know blogged about going to the dentist today or yesterday! Our visit was Wednesday. Cameron is an old pro, but this was Brenna's first cleaning. She didn't really remember the dentist visit two years ago for the trauma of hitting her front tooth. I didn't go back with them in the beginning, but after some time (talking with another mom I know who was also there with her two kids!) the hygenist called me back.

They were finished with Cameron, and Brenna had front/back X-rays taken already (no molar shots), but she was refusing to sit in the chair. I love this dentist. He's not a real kid-cutesy guy, but he's very calm and soothing. I sat on the far end of the chair and put my hand on her leg while he showed her all his tools, the mirror, the whirring "toothbrush", had her smell the toothpaste, and then she cautiously laid back for him to look at her teeth. I just sat on the chair with my hand on her leg and chatted with the hygenist while the dentist personally cleaned all her teeth. Then we looked at x-rays.

Brenna is a little disappointed that she won't be losing any of her teeth for the tooth fairy for about another year. Cameron lost #8 on Tuesday (July 30) in a bloody gush, seven years to the day that the tooth originally broke through her gums.

After the visit, Brenna told me that having my hand on her leg made her feel "safe". Awww....

So good dental check-ups for another six months. Eight down, 12 to go for Cameron to lose. Probably one more year for Brenna - right on the same track as Cameron, who lost her first tooth the first week of first grade.

2 comments:

Brenna and Molly said...

Awww - I'll bet your heart feels good now. Glad to hear the good report and that Cameron is happy with her lost tooth. At least this way she'll have all of hers done so when Brenna starts losing teeth, she won't have to share the limelight with big sis.

Now let's see a picture of Cameron with one more hole in her head!

Unknown said...

Soo stinkin' sweet!

It *only* takes a pair of sunglasses for my little rockstar to sit back in the chair. *sigh* As far as I know, she doesn't know a stranger yet.