Thursday, June 07, 2007

Memorial Day at SBR

I haven't blogged anything about our last visit to Silver Belle Ranch, and we had such a great time. I'm having a hard time selecting from the 150+ photos we took during this weekend stay. But here are a few highlights. This weekend marked our 8th year at SBR.
Brenna driving

"A young girl, two hands on the wheel
I can't replace the way it, made me feel
And he'd say, turn it left now, and steer it right
Straighten up girl now, you're doin' just fine...
When Daddy let me drive" - Alan Jackson
Cameron & Brenna Memorial Day 2007I carried this picture with me during my Society of Southwest Archivists meeting in Oklahoma City. I couldn't believe how much both girls have grown in the last year.

Each day at SBR, Dad and the boys smoked meat. Ribs and chicken one night and brisket the second. Yum. But Sunday, for some reason, they pulled the pick-up into the yard and we all sat or stood around it eating smoked/grilled stuffed jalepenos wrapped in bacon.


Smoking meat and sitting aroundAnd drinking. Did I mention the drinking? It was a lovely, relaxing, lazy, afternoon.

I'll leave it tonight with this photo of the kids and the calves. Dad sold all of the older calves this past weekend, so several of the ones in this photo are no longer at SBR.

Kids and Calves

I think we can take 'em.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I really want to come to the ranch with the boys.

Who actually owns it and how long has it been in the family?

Keri said...

I think it's awesome that your girls get to go out to the ranch and have those childhood experiences.

Shelly Kelly said...

Dad bought the place - about 200 acres - in 1999. I was pregnant with Cameron and it was a pseudo-dump; an old hunting lease cabin. My family and my aunts and some cousins spent most of that summer painting and fixing things etc. The first time I ever saw it was Thanksgiving 1999. It's grown and changed in the last 8 years with add-ons (extended the porch, hot tub, pump/well, etc.) We try to go 4-5 times each year - would love to go more often, but "life" gets in the way.

Jenn said...

Having grown up on a farm, I wish my kids had a place like SBR to go. I wish they had some of the nature experiences I did - working in the fields, playing in the cow pasture and barn... They are such city kids...