Wednesday, April 25, 2007

One great Sunday

Sunday after church, we took the girls to the Musuem of Fine Arts, Houston to see the exhibit "The Masterpieces of French Painting from The Metropolitan Museum of Art: 1800-1920". As I remember it, the Metropolitan Museum is undergoing some renovation and so they sent 135 pieces to go on display in Houston. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see these paintings outside of New York. I've been asked WHY did we take the girls; I suppose most people would go themselves alone or with their spouse, but we wanted them to see these paintings. For the most part they were very good and surprisingly, each had their "favorite".

Brenna loved Degas' dancers, including this one "The Dancing Class" from 1871.
Degas The Dancing Class 1871
Cameron decided her favorite was the "Young Woman Drawing" by Marie-Denise Villers, 1802.
Villers Young Woman Drawing 1802
Bryan had a hard time deciding on one particular favorite; there were so many "-isms" of art on display, but I know he enjoyed this one by Maximilien Luce, titled "Morning, Interior" from 1890.Luce Morning Interior 1890

As for me? I love Monet, and was astounded by the color and light in Edourd Manet's Boating. But when I stood before Van Gogh's 1889 "Cypresses" - I knew I had found my favorite. This photo from the Metmuseum.org website doesn't truly represent the art. There are so many minute details and colors that cannot be picked up in a photograph.
Van Gogh Cypresses 1889 After a few hours in the museum, everyone was ready for a picnic lunch at Hermann Park a few blocks away. We love Hermann Park, though we haven't been there as often since Bryan left his job at HMNS.


Self-portrait
We created our own piece of photographic "art" - a collage of our faces.
Artistic collage And we had such a great time letting the girls run up and down the hill in front of Miller Outdoor Theater - I can bring it to you via YouTube.



2 comments:

Brenna and Molly said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! We are doing a special art program at the girls' school called Meet the Masters. Every few months parents come in to introduce a specific artist in sessions that end with the students completing a piece of art in that artist's style. I did Van Gogh on Monday with Brenna's class and we'll do versions of "Starry Night" next week. She'll be thrilled to hear you like him as well! I'm with Brenna on the Degas though - I love the ballet pictures.

I think it's great that you took the kids. It can never hurt to expose them to art and it seems like they both enjoyed and appreciated it. Make sure you put your new family photo somewhere prominent at home too!

Karen said...

I would've done the same as well. Cameron's choice for favorite painting is breathtaking. I also like your choice as well. I'm a bit partial to Goya since I had the chance to visit his house during my trip to Spain.

The girls running up and down the hill is funny. We live near a hill similar to that. They boys, mainly Adam, have to run up and down it numerous times before we leave.