
Our last visit was Easter Sunday. We had such a happy visit, even though Grandma was in the hospital. Cameron & Brenna really enjoyed giving Grandma her ladybug Easter basket.Grandma was a very strong, spirited woman. She was a huge influence on her daughters and grandsons. We will miss her so very much. Her obituary can be read here: http://www.turrentinejacksonmorrow.com/detail.php?id=1757
I recorded an oral history interview with Grandma back in 2004 about her family and growing up in Oklahoma. Her daddy was a section foreman for the Santa Fe railroad and they lived in a house next to the tracks. She used to play on the tracks all the time - leaving pennies and nails and things to be flattened by the passing trains. She left Macomb immediately after her 1943 high school graduation, moving to Oklahoma City where she found work as a teletypist at Western Union during WWII. She says she enjoyed the job, except for the inevitable "We regret to inform you..." telegrams. Here she met Ray Connally, whom she would marry--in secret--because they didn't want anyone at WU to know they were married.I know that Grandma knows how much we loved her, and how much we wished we could have lived closer to be a daily part of her life. I treasure the memories I have of staying at her home, our conversations, our laughter. I learned many things from my relationship with Wanda. Including her peanut brittle recipe!
Remembering Grandma. She is now with her family in heaven.
2 comments:
Beautiful pictures and beautiful memories for your girls. Thanks for putting them up.
Linda
I have never seen pictures of Bryan's grandma, even though I have known your family for years. Bryan looks a LOT like her! What a lovely person she was.
Post a Comment